Sunday, April 2, 2017

we are home.

be prepared, this post is long. it’s been a long time coming.

a little over 40 days ago, i posted that we were selling our house and moving. a few weeks before that post, kyle and i had made the crazy decision to find a home with more land so that we could have more space for our businesses. we love love love the home we are in, but we don’t have much land. it’s sometimes difficult to keep up with kyle’s shop in the space we have. we had prayed hard about it, and we felt like it was the right move (no pun intended).

a few days later, we found a home that we loved on a property that we loved. we were obsessed with it, so much so that we put an offer in on it. because of the way we financed, we had to sell our current home before we could officially purchase that home. we wrote that in our offer, and they accepted it! but - they also stipulated that they still wanted people to be able to come look at the house in event that our home didn’t sell. we contracted that if they received another offer, they had to give us 72 hours to sell our home before they could accept the new offer.

still following along? it was confusing, but we didn’t foresee a problem selling our home because most houses in our neighborhood go within a couple weeks of being on the market. 

except lately.

houses have been going slowly in our neighborhood lately. after two weeks, we had so.many.showings. but no solid interest. our relator hosted an open house with the same kind of result. we were frustrated and tired, but we still felt like we were doing the right thing, so we continued to wait and pray.

fast forward to two more weeks, and the new house received another offer. it had been almost a month, and the sellers were getting antsy that our house hadn’t sold yet. we were heartbroken. if our house didn’t sell in 72 hours, we would lose the house.

we prayed so hard for our house to sell and for us not to lose that house. looking back, i now know that we should have prayed for our hearts to be prepared for whatever happened, but you know the saying - you live and you learn.

as you can probably guess, we lost the house. we fought, fought harder that we should have. but in the end, we lost it.

we were both heartbroken. kyle doesn’t get discouraged easily, but even he was angry and discouraged. i was angry, tired, and frustrated. i cried and got mad at God, because you know, it was all His fault.

we started looking at new houses that same week, but i was starting to get hesitant. after we lost the other house, something started to stir within me. instead of comparing houses to our current one and saying “that house has something ours doesn’t”, i started thinking, “yeah but our house has this… i love this about our house… etc.” it was subtle, but i didn’t know what we were meant to do, so we continued along the same path.

a couple of days later, we found another house we loved. but it was a different kind of love this time around. our hearts and minds were guarded, but we loved it enough to put an offer in on it.

when we submitted the offer, i had a very distinct feeling that i shouldn’t get my hopes up. i know now that it was God very gently telling us no, but we waited to hear from the sellers nonetheless.

at this point in the game, our entire family was [this] close to the “i’m done” point. we were all tired, cranky, and ready to be settled where we were meant to be. a turning point that week for me is when our cat got really sick. for those of you that don’t have pets, i totally understand if you think this is silly. but Arlo was my first baby, and he’s been with our family for a long time. i took him to the vet when we found a puddle of blood by his litter box. when we got there, the vet asked us if we were going through any stressful situations and i told him that we were trying to sell our home and that we had at least one showing a day on average. he didn’t say much, but told me that they needed to keep him there for the day for tests.

later that day, i went and got Arlo. the vet said he had a UTI that was progressed enough that he needed a couple different medicines. he also said that he recommended to try and find a resolve for our stressful situations because he foresaw it happening again, as stress is a major contributor to UTI’s in cats.

when i got home, i let lilli watch tv and i went and sat down and prayed. i told God that i was ready to hear anything that He said, and i just wanted to be where we were meant to be. i prayed that i was starting to have a difficult time letting our home go, and if this is where we were meant to be, then i was okay with that. i prayed that He would simply shut the door and make any changes in our hearts that needed to be done.

not too long after (i’m talking hours), our relator texted us and told us that our offer had been rejected because of the contingency.

kyle and i looked at each other right then, and we knew exactly what we were supposed to do.

yesterday, we officially took our home off the market, and we spent the whole day planning renovations and changes. we have never been more in love with our home, and we are so excited for each and every memory we will make here.

do i think we went through this experience for nothing? no. do i believe that we were meant to go through this experience? yes. i think God used this entire experience as a learning tool for us, as well as teaching us some major trust in Him. we learned patience, trust, comfort, hope, and dependence on our Heavenly Father. we also have changed hearts about how we look at our home. we see so much potential now that we’ve seen other homes, and we are incredibly excited to keep making our house a home!

stay tuned for reno and home progress posts!


  1. I think this is a wise decision. I'm sure you have hoped and prayed for answers. If anyone can completely change a space and make it better, it's you!

  2. Congratulations, girl! I'm sorry that things didn't work out the way that you had initially planned, but I pray that your new plans put you right where you're supposed to be. <3

  3. I'm sorry that you guys had to go through all of that but glad it all worked out for you in the end! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

  4. That is a good outlook on your current home. I am so sorry none of the houses worked out for you guys, but can't wait to see the renovations happen. I hope your cat is feeling better!